Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Line In The Sand

08-08-08

As I was watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, I finally listened to what God had been quietly saying to me. Yes, I believe God spoke to me. It wasn't so much an audible voice, but finally a recognition of what He had been saying to me. "Kathy, you say you've drawn a line in the sand, what are you going to do about it? This first post to my blog is my answer. I'm only one voice, but I will speak out.

Each of us has a Testimony, a walk of faith if you will. My walk of faith has had many twists and turns. Events of the past few weeks have brought me to the spot where I must draw a line in the sand. My line is the Sacred Name Movement. One of their prominent leaders, Mr. Moshe K, has determined that he, alone, can interpret Torah for the rest of us who desire to follow the teachings of Jesus, or as I know Him now, Yeshua.

The writer, Mr. Moshe K., has brought chaos where ever his interpretations are acted upon. He is a primary teacher for the movement often called Sacred name. This movement,under Mr. K's teaching has caused many to believe that there is a higher god and a lesser god. This movement has caused many to believe that when they were born anew knowing Him as Jesus, they were not truly born anew. There are many in this movement who believe that those who speak the name Jesus are using a pagan name, and therefore not part of the covenant of Israel.

I have FULL respect for those who respect Our Holy One and continue to be respectful by speaking or writing of Him using a name they believe to be more respectful and accurate. I respect these fellow believers as my brothers and sisters in Messiah. These are not the people I am separating from. My line in the sand separates me from those who blindly follow a cult mentality in this area. My line in the sand separates me from those who feel that they must ONLY use his translation of scripture.

In the past few weeks, this particular teacher in FL, has determined that he has received new revelation that will usher in the restoration of all Israel. This teacher's position, according to his recently publishes book and blogs is that perversion is a part of G-d's plan. The perversion/s I refer to is plural marriage/polygyny/polygamy fully allowed according to Torah, the first five books of scripture. Statutory rape laws have no place in a Torah based society. Statutory rape laws are 'unfair' to the perpetrator. The perpetrator should be allowed to repent, marry and care for his 'victim'. He is clear to instruct that plural marriage is not for all and that one needs to be sure to know the legal age of consent in their own state.

This writer/teacher declares that the laws of our land, the United States of America, are to be ignored because of his interpretation of Torah. Using examples such as Muslim plural marriage in the United States, this teacher believes our Government has separate standards. He is clear to state that all wives, other than the first, will not be recognized legally by the state. The marriage will be preformed by a Rabbi and will be valid in the eyes of G-d.

This teacher is dangerous in this writers opinion. Those that follow him appear to have a cult-like mentality, again, this writer's opinion.

I did choose to read the book after some e-mail discussions with various individuals. I feel defiled and victimized. I feel raped once again, this time, once again, by one who should know how to interpret scripture if they are going to proclaim that Scripture teaches such things.

This book is already into it's second printing with new revelations to be added. Apparently references to male concubines will be removed from this second printing. My initial printing copy was a gift from a dear friend. I have passed the book on, and will continue to do so. The individuals reading the book are strong individuals and mature believers who do, in fact, know how to "rightly divide the word". Reports back to me at this time are that they, too, feel defiled by simply reading the book. One person tells me that this book reads like something that belongs behind a counter in a certain type of store. That is my opinion as well.

Ultimately, we all are responsible for our own choices, for our own study of God's Holy Word. My line has been drawn and crossed. This is my line in the sand, if you believe that one must pronounce haShem's name YOUR way, or hit the highway, we will not be entering in fellowship.

I receive much of my fellowship online, and receive a number of weekly Torah commentaries. I would encourage each one of us to contact those people we receive teachings from. If you have a 'line in the sand' write to that teacher and ask their position.

I've been shocked. I've been encouraged. I've broken fellowship, unsubbed from teaching lists, and developed new relationships. We must be responsible, not listen to another person's "he said, she said" opinions and extend the courtesy to each individual to speak for themselves.

My speaking publicly is a permanent manner such as a blog is not an easy thing for me. The book teaching perversion, claiming it is sanctioned by my beloved scriptures, has brought me to this point.

I will not speak the teacher's name, nor the name of the book because I choose to give no free advertising. I speak as a 56 year old rape survivor and lover of all that God loves. Reading this book will leave you defiled. It will revictimize you.

Each of us must draw our own line in the sand. Mine has been crossed. Choose you this day Whom you will serve, I choose to serve the living, life changing, God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. I will serve The Holy One of Israel who extends grace, mercy and compassion and in whose name I am saved I will serve the One who chose to set aside a part of Himself, suffer, bleed, die, and rise again to give me the gift of Salvation. I choose to serve, to worship and to know The Holy One Of Israel. I am a Disciple of Yeshua ha Mashiach. If you know Him and love Him as Jesus of Nazareth, come along side me and we'll learn together. We can have fellowship.

If you are offended by the name Jesus, believing it to be the name of a pagan God, you will not want to walk along the beach with me in this walk of faith. s I would invite you to spend your time with those who tickle your ears. They are easily found.